Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Pattern Review - Butterick 5006


I made this for a friend who loves to knit.


I made view C, the circular knitting needle case.  I changed the cover to be similar to the scrappy needlebooks I made earlier, since I thought it looked really cute and I had the leftover scraps.  I'm really in love with this collection of quilting fabrics and want to make a coordinating set of "mug rugs" or small placemats in it for when I bring out my nicer tea sets.


I have a bunch of coconut buttons I purchased the last time I was in Hawaii (in 2011!!), and thought the flower one would be perfect for the case.  I interfaced the button attachment area for stability.

I looked at the instructions, which seemed to be straightforward, and then put the case together on my own from memory and personal intuition.  I didn't use a fusible batting; I opted for a layer of Warm'N'Natural instead.  It can be quilted up to 10" apart, so I think it will be fine for the pages (the cover is quilted to the front when the front gets embroidered).  I hand embroidered the flower applique in chain stitch using three strands of floss.  The cream running stitches are with a pearl cotton in size 8.



For next time, I will make the tab about an 1-1/2" shorter, and sew the button hole further from the edge.  The sewing of the cover is a bit sloppy and next time I might draw in the 1/2" seam allowances on the curves to help me out. I don't like the look of the inner pages peeking out and might try something different with that, either sew in the pages side by side or make the inner pages a little smaller to accommodate. I definitely want to make this again and this will probably be one of the patterns I trace off on cardstock to have as a go-to gift for my knitting friends.

I have view B cut out in linen and more Aloha Girl prints for another friend who knits on straights.



No comments:

Post a Comment