Thursday, August 8, 2013

Work Clothes Capsule

I have a lot of work-only clothes, and my work-only clothes don't really fit who I feel I am outside of work.  Once something has been designated as a work-clothes item, I rarely wear it for anything else.

So given the wardrobe I'm working towards, I think it's going to be better to separate the work clothes from my other clothes.  I tend to borrow tops into my work wardrobe, but very rarely will I borrow clothes from my work wardrobe into my every-day stuff (except for my black blazer).

Here are the pieces I'm thinking will work for my work wardrobe, more detailed than my general wardrobe.
  1. Black Blazer - have
  2. Navy Blazer - don't have
  3. Tan Cardigan - have
  4. Emerald Cardigan - have
  5. Black Dress Pants - have
  6. Grey Dress Pants - don't have but could make from Vogue 2907 with this suiting from Mood.
  7. Dark Grey Skirt - have
  8. Navy Pencil Skirt - have
  9. Black Skirt - have, need to replace
  10. White Button Down - have
  11. Blue Button Down - have
  12. Lavender Button Down - have
  13. Teal Cowl Shell - have
  14. White Patterned Cowl Shell - have
  15. Light Blue Embellished Tank - have
  16. Muted Purple Polo - have
  17. Corporate Branded Polo - have
  18. Aloha Shirt - have materials (including buttons!) and pattern (Burda 04-2012-116)
  19. Black Sheath Dress - don't have
Some thoughts:
I'm more set for work clothes than I thought.  I've been living without some items like the sheath dress and navy blazer for a while. 
I can definitely cut out a few of these pieces.  I could ditch the white patterned cowl top as I've never been in love with it, and the embellished tank is a bit see-through (I always have to wear a blazer on top of it).  I like it but it doesn't fit with who I am outside of work.  The tan cardigan I have was a gift but I rarely wear it (I look much better in black and navy), and the emerald cardigan I got on sale from J. Crew.  I probably only need one cardigan to be honest, and to be brutally honest it's neither of the cardigans I have already.  I'm thinking a smoky grey cardigan would fit in with the look I'm trying to achieve, maybe from Burda 03-2013-107
I think I'll separate these clothes out from the rest of my wardrobe, which should make it much easier to get ready in the morning.  Plus from the looks of things I'll be able to focus on making and wearing fun clothes, which is, well, more fun!

Things I need to make or buy:
Navy Blazer - Probably buy the next time Ann Taylor has a sale, not sure I'm up to making a blazer just yet
Grey Dress Pants - Probably can figure these out on my own
Aloha Shirt - Ready to make this as soon as I muslin out the pattern
Black Sheath Dress - Probably buy, but I have a navy wool crepe I could make a sheath dress from
Black Skirt Replacement - I can make this one, just need the material

No comments:

Post a Comment