Friday, August 9, 2013

Hemming Jeans

I've hemmed a couple pairs of jeans now, one for my fiance and one for myself.

This is the technique I use, which is very similar to the one on Coats & Clark's blog:
1. Measure the length to shorten, in my case it was 3" exactly.
2. Fold up half this length (1 1/2") and stitch very closely to the original hem.
3. Flip the hem out and press.
4. Stitch in the seam or slightly above the new hem seam to help the hem not flip out later.
5. Cut off the excess if necessary and finish the edges.

This takes me about 20 minutes from start to finish, so there's no reason not to do this yourself as opposed to taking your jeans to a tailor.  I use denim needles, even on the thinner "designer" denim, and a denim thread from Gutermann.  I should look into getting a darker denim thread for darker washes, but from 6 feet up no one will notice the hem!

No comments:

Post a Comment