Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Guess Denim Skirt Copy



I made a "rub off" copy of a denim skirt I wear all the time.  I used a version of the fly and fly facing from Vogue 8774 and drafted the waistband based off the curve of a leather belt I wear all the time. I made my own pocket pattern for this, I wanted deep pockets I could shove my hands in; the dinky pockets most RTW has are so pathetic! I made this in about 8 hours, give or take.


I'm mostly happy with it, the inside of the waistband doesn't look great but there is always next time for that.  I made it about an inch longer than the original, and copied a lot of the topstitching ideas for it from the original as well.  I did not do any distressing on this, I may try that for the next one.  It takes just under a yard of denim and a quarter yard for the pockets (I wear an altered Big4 14 for reference).



I may make some minor adjustments for the next time I make this.   I think the yoke can be a little narrower in the center back, and I'll reduce the seam allowance on the waistband to 1/4 inch.  I may also play with the back pocket placement a bit.


No comments:

Post a Comment